Sunday, August 24, 2008

Olympics and Chinese Cake


In honor of the Olympics, I decided to try my hand at Chinese cake as my weekend project. I tracked down the recipe in the "Secret Koyama/Gee Family Recipe Book." This was a high protein snack; one recipe called for 8-9 eggs! I enlisted my trusty KitchenAid hand-held mixer for the project, which required a grand total of about 1/2 an hour of active whipping of eggs and the batter.
Although the recipe called for baking the cake, I recalled that this cake could also be steamed, so I divided the batter among two round cake pans and baked one and steamed the other. The baked cake (on the left) came out toasty golden brown with a nice crust. The steamed one (on the right), made up for its lack in color with fluffiness.
I brought the cakes as a special treat for my ballet class. After a hard hour and forty-five minute class, I brought out the cake, and no one hesitated to pounce on it. I encouraged everyone try try both kinds. The results? About half and half. Some preferred the baked cake for its golden, slightly carmelized flavor. Others loved the tenderness of the steamed cake. Amazing that one ballet class can eat two cakes in about 10 minutes flat!

3 comments:

Ma said...

Boos--You cakes look really good. You have made Ma proud

heatherp said...

My vote is always for the steamed: I think it ends up more moist and fluffy than the baked. Good work Kel!

E.A. Durden said...

Hey, you never told me you had a blog! All our talk about blogs and there you were, writing your own... Very cool. Yours isn't annoying like so many are. I will stay tuned...