Friday, August 15, 2008

Kentucky Hot Browns and Massages



Jasmine and I planned a "Sisters Day" with Heather in Louisville the day before Heather's engagement party in Evansville, Indiana. We had such a great time! Jasmine and I flew into Louisville on Thursday night, and we both arrived very late after flight delays. Heather ended up going to sleep soon after she picked up Jasmine from the airport because she was working a half day the next day, but Jasmine and I ended up staying awake until almost 3:00 am watching the finale of So You Think You Can Dance! It was fun analyzing and discussing the dancing. I still think Katee was cheated.

The next day Jasmine and I lazed around the apartment until lunchtime, when Heather picked us up and we went to the Brown Hotel in downtown Louisville for its famous Hot Brown sandwich. The Hot Brown was developed at the Brown Hotel in 1926, and is a Hot Brown is an open-faced sandwich using thick cut bread, hand carved turkey and bacon covered in Mornay sauce and baked until the bread is crisp and a delicious, cheesy crust is formed on top. Served with grilled tomatoes on the side, it is absolutely decadent and delicious. Jasmine and I first saw this sandwich on the Food Network's Throwdown with Bobby Flay. Bobby Flay had a throwdown with the Castro Brothers, the official Hot Brown Chefs at the Brown Hotel, to see who could make the best Hot Brown. Of course, the Castro Brothers won, and they are now official spokespersons for General Electric, Heather's employer.

After stuffing ourselves full of turkey, cheese and bacon, we headed to the Z Salon for massages. What a treat! Each massage starts off with a foot wash/massage, followed by a 45 minute massage with the scented oils of your choice. Heather said she fell asleep and started snoring-- I think I did too. After our massages, we relaxed in the sauna and the waterfall shower. Jasmine loved the waterfall, but I thought it was too forceful. It can't be relaxing if you're being pounded in the back and ears with a huge rush of water!

We headed to the Zappos outlet to see if we could find any shoe bargains. The Zappos outlet is the best part of Louisville! Sadly, no fantastic treasures, although I was able to find a pair of sandals to wear the next night at the engagement party. We picked up some pies from a local pie store for dessert later in the evening, and settled in for the night to watch the opening ceremonies of the Olympics with Heather's fiancee, Robert, and the two "boys" Herbie and Freddie.

What a perfect day.

5 comments:

heatherp said...

Sister day was probably one of the most fun days I've ever had! The only thing I would have taken back is having my lip flap embarassingly when I started snoring during my massage.

Ma said...

It is easy to see why Jasmine loved Louisville--hot browns and then being "lomied"--Heard Louisville offers a 3 for the price of one massages--as compared to SF & NY--

Jasmine said...

Sister day was definitely one of the most fun days ever! Louisville is a fun place...and you can't go wrong with delicious Hot Browns, pie and fabulous spas. Heather and Postie did a great job with their house!

Kel...I like the Hot and Not Hot list.

Jasmine said...

And let me just point out that I am drinking sparkling grape juice in the "cheers" picture!!

Megan said...

Ty's fav part of KY is the hot brown also, anything with bacon is a good thing to him, add gravy, cheese and turkey and bread and it's a very good thing.

Spa day sounds awesome.