Friday, August 15, 2008

Devils on Horseback

Devils on Horseback are the easiest, most delicious hors d'oeuvres I've ever made. And quite a miracle in and of themselves, since normally I hate dates. Nothing makes me shudder more than dry, slightly grainy/mushy/ tough dried dates. But stuff them with goat cheese, wrap with bacon, and voila! Instant deliciousness. Just be careful to let them cool down after they come out of the oven -- otherwise these little molten lava balls of goodness will burn your tongue. *ahem*
This is a picture of the little guys before they went into the oven. I was so preoccupied with drooling that I forgot to take a picture when they came out of the oven all crispy and brown.

1 comment:

pkl said...

Most dates are dried and tough, but try fancy and yummy medjool (sp?)dates which are plum and 'fresher' and you'll have a real treat. Another version (w/o cooking and thus perhaps better for the summer) is to wrap the dates in Spek or prociutto. Stuffed or not...